Sunday, August 9, 2009

Manager interview

I applied for a manager post about a month back or so. And was shortlisted and called up for the interview, 2 weeks ago. Until now, I haven't got the result yet. But if you ask me, I was not fully satisfied. After the interview I think I could've went through it better.

But at the same time, it also made me realise of some shortfall of the system. Now I understand why there's quite a number of managers that I know of, but in my opinion (and others opinion) that they don't deserve to be one. Because it depends a lot on how you talk and how witty you are. People like me who are naturally not so witty and always need some time to think to make sure of a correct answer will be at a disadvantage. Even though you may actually be very good.

But the system as it is, I think I have devised a few plans for my next interview if I will ever go through one again.

1. Be specific. Identify something specific that I have done and make sure it's highlighted. Should be able to relate the details as well. Telling them that I do a lot of things (simply because I am) without the details will not impress them. So it's better to do just a bit, but make sure I remember it and highlight every details

2. Sensationalize. Just like newspapers. It has been at many instances that people rave about something I did, but for me it's just another task I completed, in a day at work. So I have to learn to identify and 'market' these

3. Complicate simple things. So when being asked, 'How do you solve problems?'. Rather than just say, 'I prefer to discuss in team to solve problem & escalate to higher level for advise & direction' which takes more or less 10 seconds to answer, I should say 'I would analyze the problem. Try to ascertain if the probolem is within my and my team's capabilities and skillset. If yes, work on options to solve it and finally employ the best options. If not, try to obtain assistance from people external of the team. While if still unresolved, to consult higher management for advise and direction on the situation'. That would sound much more impressive! But then, sounding impressive is the name of the game

4. Be compulsive. When they ask, quickly answer with something. Don't pause to think, they'll make faces while I'm doing that.


Hopefully, I can keep all those in mind the next time I'm attending an interview hehehe

2 comments:

MelatiPutih said...

hey there, you know what, i bet you did ok during that interview..this is normal y'know..take my situation for example..last week i asked one question in front of the lots in my department..my question was rather simple though but after a while, it got me to thinking for days how stupid i sounded and wish i could'va asked better and yet intelligent question..i'm simply giving you the example..my point is, as hard as we are trying to impress people, we always thought we coul've done better but little did we know that the first time we did it was the best..cheers and good luck!

napee said...

Thanks Ainul for your encouraging words. Now still waiting for the interview result. Not putting high hopes on it. But we'll see hehehe