Thursday, December 4, 2008

RM2k+ for a tyre puncture?


This bloody puncture almost costed me RM2k+ to repair

Actually, to my eyes it looked like a simple repair job actually. But yesterday, I brought it to a tyre shop near my house. I've used to go there for a few years when I was driving Proton car. So I went there again just since it's convenient.

They tried to fix it, the normal way using that rubber plug thingy. But it didn't fix it well. Air was leaking, slowly. Then they started to offer me to replace the tyres. They showed me a pair of used tyres, which I'm really not keen of, but still looked just to be polite. They also recommended me their Goodyear tyres, which I had to pass, since I don't want to mix tyres. It'll wreak havoc with the car's balance and the drivetrain. And they don't have the correct size for my car anyway. Also I didn't want to blow RM2k+ just because I have one punctured tyre since I will need to change all four tyres! So I paid them RM5 and left with my spare tyre still on.

Then I remember my friend have fixed a 1" long tear on his tyre before. At a shop somewhere in USJ. So today I planned to go there. But on the way, stopped at another tyre shop to try again. Like asking for second opinion. They just put another rubber plug and the leak was OK! And the good thing is, it just costed me another RM5. Damn! That was easy.

Luckily I didn't have the urge (or financial capacity) to splurge RM2k+ on a new set of tyres. If I had the cash, probably I would've. They would buy my tyres, cheaply as trade-in, repair the puncture and make money re-selling it.

That's why, always be wary when you send your car for repairs. It's really hard to find a trustworthy mechanic. And if you find one, please stick with him.

1 comment:

mytyreman said...

Might you at any point supplant just 1 tire?
Remember, you can supplant only one tire assuming your different tires have the greater part of their track,flat tyre repair however you should ensure you purchase a similar Tire Brand/Make/Model of your different tires for ideal execution.